Charlotte-Mecklenburg police seized 83 machines and more than $7,400 from a sweepstakes parlor in southwest Charlotte.
The raid at Broadway Sweepstakes on South Tryon Street is the third raid CMPD has done at a sweepstakes parlor this week.
Previously, police seized machines from the LPM Sweepstakes off of Old Pineville Road and the Queens Gold on South Tryon Street.
Authorities said the investigation was launched at the Broadway Sweepstakes after detectives received information concerning illegal slot machines and sweepstakes activity. As a result of the investigation, detectives identified a combination of 83 electronic and slot machines they said violated state gambling laws. The machines contained poker, bingo, keno and other video games whereby players deposited money in order to play, according to police.
Police said Casey McMackin, an employee at the parlor, was cited for operating slot machines.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.