Mark Sanford easily won the GOP primary runoff for his old South Carolina congressional seat Tuesday night. Sanford is now engaged to Maria Belen Chapur, who still lives in Argentina and made her first public campaign appearance with him during a visit on Tuesday night. Sanford said she surprised him by attending.
"She's going to show up when she wants to show up," Sanford said when asked if she would be campaigning. "She's going to be a part of what she wants to be part of and if she doesn't want to be part of it, she won't. She's a very private person."
Sanford has said the couple plans to marry this year.
"Their plans as a couple are personal and we'll keep them personal," campaign spokesman Joel Sawyer said when asked if a date has been set. He said for now, Sanford is focused on the campaign.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.