NEWTON -- The District Attorney’s office in Catawba County says that charges have been dropped against a child who was accused of shooting a BB gun into two passing vehicles near his home.
During a Friday morning hearing, a judge dropped two felony counts of discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle. Sam Grant, who turned 8 on Thursday, had been charged in connection with a Feb. 18 incident near his home, in the Catawba community of eastern Catawba County.
According to a sheriff’s office report, the boy had been shooting with a BB gun in his yard off Buffalo Shoals Road. Investigators and the boy’s family said the youth was aiming at a nearby abandoned house but hit the vehicles instead.
Family members told reporters that the motorist and the deputy who investigated the case did not plan to press charges.
However, the state legal code for juveniles requires certain types of offenses to be prosecuted, so the charges were filed. The district attorney’s office did not have an option in this case, a source said.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less