SALISBURY -- A 2-year-old boy was killed and three people injured early Thursday when fire heavily damaged a house in Salisbury, fire and police officials say.
The fire was reported shortly after 12:45 a.m. at a single-story house in the 1200 block of Davis Street, officials say. That is south of Jake Alexander Boulevard, on the south side of Salisbury.
Neighbors called 911, reporting flames coming from the roof.
Four residents -- two adults and two children -- escaped safely. But the young child was trapped in a rear bedroom, fire officials told reporters. Several people made an effort to save the youth.
Fire officials report one teen-age girl suffered a cut arm while breaking a window. Authorities say a police officer and a male adult resident of the house were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. It appears each was hurt while trying to save the child.
Salisbury fire Chief Bob Parnell said Thursday morning that police Lt. Greg Beam forced his way into the home and got the boy, but he already had died.
Investigators say the fire was accidental. They suspect a short in the wiring in a box fan triggered the blaze.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less