Light and Fresh
Posted: Friday, Apr. 19, 2013
Chef Troy Gagliardo
"Chef Troy" Gagliardo hosts a weekly cooking segment called "Tuesdays with Troy" live every Tuesday on Fox News Rising from 7 to 9 am. He has made over 200 appearances on the show showcasing over 600 of his unique original recipes was voted one of the Top Five best chefs in Charlotte in 2013. Troy has penned a cookbook called Seasonal Comfort featuring some of his favorite comfort food recipes, and his business Motown Spice Provisions has supplied restaurants and country clubs in the greater Charlotte area for the past 10 years. He enjoys teaching readers and viewers alike how to build their "cooking confidence" through his recipes and simple technique. He is a self-taught chef who learned early on the important of family and food, and the connection between both, from his parents and grandparents. Contact him at email@example.com.
Grilled Kale Chicken Caesar Salad with Roasted Tomatoes/Garlic Croutons* 4 Each-Chicken Breast-boneless, skinless, 8 to 10 ounces
* 2 Bunches-Kale-thick stem removed, leave in large pieces
* 1 Cup-Grape Tomatoes
* To Coat-Olive Oil
* To Taste-Chef Troys Spice Mix
* 1 Pound-Thick Sliced Bacon-sliced thin, cooked and drained
* To Taste-Parmesan Cheese-ribbons peeled with veg peeler
* To Taste-Caesar DressingCroutons * 4 Each-Sour Dough Bread-1 thick sliced
* To Brush-Olive Oil
* 2 Each Garlic Cloves-peeledDirections 1. Preheat grill to medium high heat for direct/indirect heat grilling.
2. Drizzle kale lightly with oil, mix to lightly coat and season with spice mix.
3. Drizzle tomatoes with a little oil, season with spice mix and place in a small iron skillet.
4. Place skillet with tomatoes on top rack over direct heat, cook to soften, tossing periodically, about 10 minutes.
5. Grilled bread on both sides over direct heat to slightly char.
6. Move to top rack over indirect heat and cook until crunchy, about 5-7 minutes.
7. Remove from grill, immediately rub both sides with garlic, cut into cubes and set aside.
8. Pat chicken breasts dry, brush lightly with oil and season with spice mix.
9. Place over direct heat and grill on both sides until slightly charred and just cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
10. Remove from grill and let rest on a plate while preparing the kale.
11. Lower heat to medium, working in batches place kale over direct heat to slightly char, 1-2 minutes, moving around.
12. Place grilled kale in a large bowl, lightly toss with Caesar dressing and place on four individual plates.
13. Top with roasted tomatoes, bacon, parmesan and croutons.
14. Slice each breast on the bias, place one breast each on each salad and serve.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less