WHITEVILLE Nearly two years after a Charlotte teenager died and two others were wounded in a mysterious shooting in eastern North Carolina, the Columbus County district attorney has determined a gun malfunction is to blame.
The bullet that struck and killed Jasmine Thar, a 16-year-old Ardrey Kell High student, over Christmas break in 2011 was fired from a rifle that accidentally discharged, District Attorney Jonathan David said in a Monday news conference with Thars family.
The guns owner, James Anthony Blackwell, will not be charged, David said. Ballistic test results from the FBI and SBI show there is no evidence that Blackwell intentionally fired the rifle, the prosecutor said.
Questions about the gun, a .308 Remington Model 700 that has been the subject of some 75 lawsuits nationwide, still linger.
The attorney for Thars family told the Observer after the meeting that the controversial case is one of manufacturers negligence and that they will sue the gunmaker, Madison-based Remington Arms Co.
If you bump your finger with the trigger and you dont pull the trigger, it shouldnt be going off, attorney Willie Gary said. Its a recipe for disaster.
Thar was killed Dec. 23, 2011, while visiting her godmother, Treka McMillian, and friend Jah-mesha McMillian in the town of Chadbourn, about 140 miles east of Charlotte.
As they were walking across McMillians front yard, a single bullet came from the house across the street, where Blackwell lived at the time.
Blackwell told police the gun fired without him pulling the trigger. David declined to say whether the mans hand was near the trigger. David said he didnt want to influence civil litigation.
Gary, a Florida-based litigator known for successful lawsuits against the some of the nations largest companies, said he will rely on the district attorneys investigation to help build the familys civil case.
The major part of the case has only just begun, Gary said.
Remington did not return repeated phone calls on Monday.
The manufacturer has previously denied accusations that the model contains a defect.
The gun is safe when firearm safety precautions are used properly, the company has said.
A 2010 report on CNBC found that Remington has, at least twice, considered recalling the weapon, but later abandoned the idea. The company feared a recall would undercut its public messages stressing firearm safety, the report said.
Internal documents show that in 1948 before the gun went on the market the guns designer Merle Mike Walker proposed a design change to prevent the triggers internal parts from falling out of alignment, CNBC reported.
The network said the added cost for Walkers trigger block came to pennies per gun. With the rifle already over budget, CNBC said, the company decided against making a change.
Relatives of Thar said Monday they want Remington to pay for the teens untimely death.
There must be some responsibility and accountability, Thars grandfather, Bernie Coaxum, said. It doesnt negate the loss of my granddaughter Jasmine but there has to be someone holding them accountable.
The focus on Remington represents a shift for Thars family and civil rights groups who have spent more than a year urging prosecutors to press charges against Blackwell. They believed the shooting was racially motivated after investigators told them they had found evidence in the Blackwells home.
Blackwell is white; the victims of the shooting were black.
Charlotte-area activists launched an online petition that garnered more than 70,000 signatures and rallies in their support.
Relatives as recently as last week had met with the district attorney and expressed unhappiness at how long it was taking to get answers.
David said the lengthy wait was the result of backlogs at understaffed FBI and SBI offices. Currently, SBI test results can take up to eight months.
The FBI released the results of the ballistic test and a comprehensive background check on Blackwell to the district attorney earlier this month.
David said he immediately called family attorneys to arrange a meeting.
After 90 minutes of reviewing the long-awaited forensic tests, family members said they were satisfied with the district attorneys decision not to prosecute Blackwell.
Nothing in Blackwells background check, which included interviews with past employers, friends and family, indicated that he had harbored racist sentiments.
Several witnesses interviewed by police described him as screaming in anguish after the shooting and expressing remorse.
David said the window the bullet passed through was shut and the blinds were closed, meaning Blackwell wasnt taking aim.
Wendell Hardie, the father of Jah-mesha McMillian, who was injured in the shooting, said the DAs presentation made it clear Blackwell didnt mean for it to happen.
Thars family plans to host a rally to raise awareness about gun violence issues in Whiteville on June 22.
It was a long process with an unusual case, Coaxum said. Its human nature for us to be cautious and suspicious during a tragedy like this.
Staff writers Cleve Wootson, Fred Clasen-Kelly and researcher Marion Paynter contributed.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less