Heavy smoke pouring out of one of the upper floors of a high-rise apartment building in uptown Charlotte Tuesday was caused by construction workers cutting drywall, Charlotte Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters responded to the report of a fire at Hall House, a vacant Charlotte Housing Authority in the 500 block of North Tryon Street, around 3:31 p.m.
Workers at another high-rise building across the street had reported seeing smoke coming from the windows of one of the upper floors of the property.
CFD Spokesman Rob Brisley said it is department policy to upgrade to a two-alarm response anytime there is visible smoke in a high-rise building.
Firefighters shut down North Tryon Street for about thirty minutes Tuesday between 5th and 9th streets as they checked Hall House for fire.
The scene was cleared at 4 p.m. after firefighters determined the source of the smoke to be construction work in the building.
Steele: 704-358-5067 on Twitter: @steelecs
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less