SALISBURY -- State officials have given a Rowan County American Legion post a reprieve before they are ousted from their headquarters, according to published reports Thursday morning.
The Salisbury Post and WBTV are reporting that the N.C. Department of Transportation told officials at the Samuel C. Hart American Legion post in Salisbury on Wednesday afternoon that they would have an additional 30 days before eviction takes place.
The American Legion post has operated from the same building on U.S. 29 for more than 60 years, but state officials want the property as part of rail improvements planned for the Charlotte-to-Raleigh route. American Legion officials balked at an offer made by the DOT last year, and the two sides never reached an agreement.
The DOT informed the American Legion that the state would use eminent domain and take over the building May 8, but Legion officials said they were not able to contact anyone from the DOT.
The American Legion post plans to buy property on Bringle Ferry Road and relocate.
The Salisbury Post and WBTV contributed
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less