Voters in Fort Mill will decide Tuesday whether the school district can borrow $54 million to expand two high schools, build an elementary school, improve security and expand technology.
Polls opened at 7 p.m. and will remain open until 7 p.m. Voters must present a photo ID, which can include an identification card issued by the state Department of Motor Vehicles, military ID, passport, Department of Veterans Affairs card or voter registration card with a photo.
The bonds will pay for several items, including:
• Expanding Fort Mill and Nation Ford high schools so each could accommodate 2,400 students. Both are expected to reach their current capacity of 1,800 students in the 2015-16 school year.
• Constructing a new building for Riverview Elementary School.
• Installing turf fields at both high schools football stadiums.
• Buying 250 mobile computers, including Chromebooks and iPads, for each elementary and middle school and 500 for each high school.
• Improving safety at district schools.
If the bonds are approved, the owner of a $100,000 home would pay an extra $66 a year in property taxes.
What precincts are open?
• Carolina: Fort Mill School District Office, 2233 Deerfield Dr., Fort Mill
• Dobys Bridge: Dobys Bridge Presbyterian Church, 2500 Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 1: Fort Mill Town Hall, 112 Confederate St., Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 2: Glenrock Baptist Church, 1815 Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 3: Sisk Memorial Baptist Church, 115 Spratt St., Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 4: Unity Presbyterian Church, 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 5: Flint Hill Fire Department, 1950 U.S. 21, Fort Mill
• Fort Mill No. 6: Church Of Christ, 1055 Gold Hill Road, Fort Mill
• Gold Hill: Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160 West, Fort Mill
• Nation Ford: Nation Ford High School, 1400 A.O. Jones Blvd., Fort Mill
• Orchard Park: Philadelphia Methodist Church, 1691 S.C. 160 West, Fort Mill
• Palmetto: Tega Cay Baptist Church, 1875 Gold Hill Road, Fort Mill
• Pleasant Road: Real Life Assembly, 1930 Pleasant Road, Fort Mill
• Riverview: St. Philip Neri Catholic Church, 292 Munn Road, Fort Mill
• Shoreline: Lakeshore Christian Fellowship, 130 Shoreline Pkwy., Tega Cay
• Springfield: Unity Presbyterian Church, 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill
• Stateline: SpringHill Church, 3585 Centre Circle, Fort Mill
• Steele Creek: Church Of Christ, 1055 Gold Hill Road, Fort Mill
• Tega Cay: Philip T. Glennon Community Center, 15077 Molokai Drive, Tega Cay
• Waterstone: Lake Wylie Lutheran Church, 2906 S.C. 160 West, Fort Mill
• Windjammer: Philip T. Glennon Community Center, 15077 Molokai Drive, Tega Cay
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less