State transportation officials say they plan to reopen another lane of southbound Interstate 85 on Wednesday night.
And they say it could help the traffic flow in southern Cabarrus and northern Mecklenburg counties.
The lane closure has reduced I-85 -- just south of I-485 in north Charlotte -- to two lanes since Feb. 4, so Lane Construction could remove the existing concrete and restripe the road. That is being done to tie in a new ramp from the inner loop of I-485, which is under construction, to southbound I-85.
With a third lane open, Department of Transportation officials say, engineers expect some relief from the sluggish traffic flow in the area.
Work on the I-485 section, between I-85 and N.C. 115 near Huntersville, is expected to be finished by June 2014. When that is done, the I-485 loop will be complete around Charlotte.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.