The mother of a Long View toddler found dead last week was arrested Thursday in connection with the child’s death.
Long View police charged 21-year-old Whitney Weathers with felony child abuse. Weathers’ boyfriend, William Howard Lail III, was charged with murder in the case May 3 after police found Weathers’ 20-month-old son dead at a Long View residence.
The boy’s 3-year-old sister was also found with bruises and burns on her body.
Warrants say Lail intentionally scalded the toddler, identified as Jaydon Ray Sandlin, and his sister Kylie, while he supervised them for Weathers.
Weathers was not home when police responded to her home after a neighbor called 911.
She was in the Catawba County jail Thursday evening on $40,000 bond. Lail is also in jail with no bond.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.