Chopped peanuts and flaked coconut form a savory-sweet crust for fresh scallops. Saute the scallops and serve them on a bed of sauteed spinach flavored with coconut milk. Rice microwaved for a minute, tossed with shredded carrots and also flavored with coconut milk makes a quick side dish. The carrots get slightly cooked in the heat of the cooked rice.
The secret to making sweet, juicy scallops is to sear them for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. They will be translucent in the center and continue to cook off the heat.
Coconut milk is made by mixing shredded coconut with boiling water, letting it steep and then straining it. Lite coconut milk is available, and it works well in this recipe.
Wine tip: Try a bone-dry, crisp, light-as-air French muscadet white wine.
• Chop the peanuts and coconut flakes together in a food processor.
• The scallops and spinach are made in the same skillet.
• White or brown microwaveable rice can be used.
• Shredded or matchstick carrots can be found in the produce section of the market.
• Prepare all of the ingredients.
• Make the rice and set aside to absorb the coconut milk.
• Make the scallops and spinach.
This meal contains 563 calories per serving with 33 percent of calories from fat.
For a printable copy of the recipes, click the links:
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less