LINCOLNTON -- A Lincoln County man has been charged with filing a fake report of vehicle theft, in an effort to get money from an insurance company, the sheriff’s office says.
William Minford Chatham III, 38, of Vale, was arrested Monday on two charges of felony insurance fraud. He was released on $5,000 bond, the sheriff’s office says.
Investigators say Chatham filed a claim last Oct. 13 that someone stole a trailer containing a Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide motorcycle. The trailer was valued at $2,748 and the motorcycle at $25,000, deputies say. He told investigators the trailer was outside his home when he took his dog for a walk on the night of Oct. 12 but was missing the next morning.
According to investigators, Shelby police learned earlier this month that the trailer and motorcycle were being kept in a storage facility there.
Deputies say an investigation led them to charge Chatham in the case.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.