The Perfect Summer Side
Posted: Friday, May. 24, 2013
Looking for a side dish that is just a bit different for your next get together or cookout? Give this light and refreshing grilled watermelon salad a try.
Grilling the already juicy watermelon gives it a slight smokey taste and brings out even more juiciness. The natural sugars in the watermelon begin to caramelize and turns this sweet treat into something like you have never had.
Cube and combine the watermelon with a light citrus vinaigrette for a touch of acidy. Adding jalapeno brings in some spice and crumbled feta a touch of saltiness that makes this salad perfectly balanced.
Enjoy with grilled chicken, fish or even a nice charred burger, enjoy!
Grilled Watermelon Feta and Jalapeno Salad
3 Cups-Seedless Watermelon
8 Ounce Block-Feta Cheese-cut into planks
1 Each-Jalapeno Pepper-stem removed, halved, seeded and fine diced
1 Each-Green Onion-sliced thin, green/white parts separate
1 Tablespoon-Fresh Parsley-leaves only chopped fine
¼ Cup-Orange Juice
2 Tablespoons-Lime Juice
2 Tablespoons-Olive Oil
To Taste-Kosher Salt
1. Preheat grill for direct heat grilling to medium high heat.
2. Whisk together honey, orange/lime juice.
3. Add olive oil and whisk to combine, set aside.
4. Square off watermelon by cutting off the rind on all side, trim remaining rind.
5. Cut watermelon into thick planks and brush lightly with olive oil.
6. Brush feta planks with oil also.
7. Place watermelon on grill over direct heat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
8. Remove and place feta on grill, cooking only 30 seconds on each side.
9. Remove and set aside to cool.
10. Cut watermelon into bite size cubes and crumble feta.
11. Place both in a mixing bowl with jalapeno, parsley and white part of onion.
12. Toss to combine and add enough dressing to lightly coat salad.
13. Toss again, add more dressing to taste and serve.