The Charlotte Symphony Orchestra appointed Roger Kalia as assistant conductor for the 2013-2014 season. Kalia will move to Charlotte and begin conducting this fall.
Kalia completes his third season as music director of Indiana’s Columbus Symphony Orchestra this spring. He also served as music director to the Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra in Los Angeles.
Kalia completed his doctoral work as associate instructor of orchestral conducting at Indiana University. He earned a master’s degree in orchestral conducting at the University of Houston, where he was the Schissler conducting fellow.
In addition to community and educational programming, Kalia’s duties include the annual Nutcracker ballet with N.C. Dance Theatre and the Lollipops family series. Leah Harrison
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.