Officials at a Lincoln County company say they wont reopen their plant until they can find the source of a gas leak that sickened more than a dozen employees Monday.
A number of employees at R.W. Garcia Corporation in Lincolnton began complaining of headaches and lightheadedness about 1:30 p.m. Monday, company officials and Lincoln County emergency management officials say.
First responders reported finding elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the plant, determined natural gas was causing the problem, and shut off the gas supply.
Genelle Chetcuti, a spokeswoman for R.W. Garcia, said of about 40 people working in the plant at the time, 14 required hospitalization for treatment of their symptoms.
All had been treated and released as of Monday evening, Chetcuti said. Fire officials also declared the plant safe, as of Monday evening.
She said company officials credit fast action by plant managers and rapid response from medical and fire officials for preventing the situation from worsening.
Despite the declaration from fire officials, Chetcuti said the plant hasnt reopened yet. Production will not resume until the source of the leak is found, she said.
R.W. Garcia is a California-based producer of organic corn-based snacks.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less