MONROE -- A 76-year-old Monroe woman and her dog are recovering from injuries suffered Monday when they were attacked by a pit bull, according to police.
The attack was reported about 2 p.m. in the 600 block of Engleside Street, Monroe police say. A woman told officers she had returned home and had taken her dog out of her vehicle so they could sit on the front steps of the house.
As they were walking to the house, the woman said, a pit bull dog came from behind the house and attacked them. The woman said she picked up a stick and began swatting at the dog, to chase it away.
The woman suffered several puncture wounds and was treated at CMC-Union.
Monroe Animal Control took possession of the pit bull, police say. Investigators say the dog’s owner handed the dog over to Monroe officials, who will euthanize the animal after a 10-day rabies quarantine.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.