The hit-and-run charge against Tim Newman, the city’s former top tourism and promotions leader, was dropped Thursday after the victim didn’t show up at Newman’s trial.
Newman, the longtime chief executive of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, was arrested in May 2012. He was charged with hit-and-run and DWI in connection with a 10 p.m. accident on I-77 near LaSalle Street.
The DWI charge was dropped in November after the judge ruled that Newman had been jailed too long after his arrest, blocking his legal right to seek independent alcohol testing. That ruling was upheld on appeal.
On Thursday, the victim in the hit-and-run case let the court know that she was OK with the case being dismissed. She said Newman had already paid her an unspecified amount of restitution, said a spokeswoman for the District Attorney’s Office.
In a prepared statement, the prosecutors’ office said it “works to ensure a fair outcome in every case. Ultimately ... without witness testimony we often cannot proceed.”
Newman was head of the CRVA, the city’s major tourism and promotions bureau, for seven years. He was forced out in 2011 by the mayor and city council over criticism of his performance.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less