CHERRYVILLE Emergency crews responded to a home in Gaston County on Sunday afternoon after receiving a call of a deck collapse.
Authorities were dispatched to the home in the 400 block of Oak Grove Road in Cherryville about 3 p.m.
Fire officials said about 25 people were on the deck at the time of the collapse.
They were attending a family party at the home and were preparing to eat at the time of the incident.
Four people were extricated from the collapse.
Two were pinned underneath the structure, and two more were tangled in the debris near the top, fire officials say.
A total of 18 people were treated on the scene by paramedics. Three more people were hospitalized for treatment.
Two of the patients were taken to Cleveland Memorial Hospital, and one was taken to CMC Lincolnton, authorities said.
The deck was more than 20 years old, officials said, and wasnt able to withstand the weight.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.