The filing period for a slew of local elections in Union County opens at noon Friday, July 5, and runs through noon July 19.
More than 40 seats in the various municipalities are up for grabs, including nine races for mayor.
But the potential for the splashiest races may be in Monroe, where three city council seats and the mayor’s office are up for election.
The city council remains bitterly divided 4-3, and members of both factions are facing re-election. Up for re-election are Mayor Bobby Kilgore, who is part of the minority side, and council members John Ashcraft Jr., Margaret Desio and Freddie Gordon, who help to comprise the board majority.
All four said they are running for re-election.
Monroe’s election is set for Oct. 8. If a run-off is needed, it would be the day the other municipal elections are held, Nov. 5, Union County Board of Elections Director John Whitley said.
Turnout for the local races has ranged from about 8 percent to 15 percent in the prior two elections, Whitley said.
Here is a breakdown of the other races, and the incumbents whose seats are up for election. All of the mayoral terms are for two years, except in Stallings and Unionville, where the term is for four years. All board seats are four-year positions.
• Fairview: Two council seats; incumbents are Jerry Clontz and Bradley Purser.
• Hemby Bridge: Two alderman seats; incumbents are Rodney Mullis and Kevin Pressley.
• Indian Trail: Two council seats; incumbents are Robert Allen and Darlene Luther.
• Lake Park: Mayor; incumbent is Kendall Spence. Two council seats; incumbents are David Cleveland and Sandy Coughlin.
• Marshville: Mayor; incumbent is Frank Deese. Two council seats; incumbents are Dora Bridget and Matthew Jefferson.
• Marvin: Mayor; incumbent is Nick Dispenziere. Two council seats; incumbents are Anthony Burman and Ron Salimao.
• Mineral Springs: Mayor; incumbent is Rick Becker. Three council seats; incumbents are Jerry Countryman, Jan Critz and Melody LaMonica.
• Stallings: Mayor; incumbent is Lynda Paxton. Four council seats; incumbents are Harry Stokes, District 1; Reed Esarove, District 2; Wyatt Dunn, District 3; and Paul Frost, District 6.
• Unionville: Mayor; incumbent is Larry Simpson. Two commissioner seats; incumbents are Kenneth Brown Jr. and Robert Croutch.
• Waxhaw: Three commissioner seats; Joyce Blythe, Brett Diller and Erin Kirkpatrick.
• Weddington: Mayor; incumbent is Walker Davidson. Two council seats, incumbents are Werner Thomisser, District 1, and Daniel Barry, District 3.
• Wesley Chapel: Mayor; incumbent is Brad Horvath. Two council seats, incumbents are Howard Brotton and Kim Ormiston.
• Wingate: Two commissioner seats; incumbents are Gary Hamill and Brent Moser.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less