LENOIR Caldwell County fire officials say fireworks were to blame for a blaze that destroyed a garage and a vehicle Sunday evening, but they say another fire was intentionally set.
Spent fireworks were blamed for the fire that was reported about 10 p.m. Sunday at a home on Little Johns Church Road near Gamewell. Fire officials reported smelling smoke and then discovering a fire in the attached garage.
Emergency Services Director Robbie Wilkie said the source of the fire was traced to a cardboard box, where the remains of fireworks had been stored, to keep them away from the family pet. The fire destroyed the garage and a car, with damage estimated at $20,000.
About an hour later, crews were called to battle a blaze at a rental home on Broyhill Lake Road near Kings Creek.
Neighbors reported seeing smoke in the woods near their homes and called 911. Wilkie said firefighters found the back porch of a nearby mobile home had been set on fire, but the flames went out before much damage was done. The mobile home was unoccupied at the time.
Anyone with information in the case is asked to call the fire marshals office, at 828-757-1280.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less