A Mecklenburg County mother is charged for allegedly scalding a young child with hot liquid.
Police searched the womans apartment in the 3100 block of Nobles Avenue on June 22 after burns were reported on the 2-year-old childs face.
Police describe the boys burns as life-threatening. He was transported to Wake Forest Baptist Medical center for the wounds, as well as a fractured right arm. Police say he also had a small crisscross pattern across his legs and back.
Investigators say the toddlers mother, Monique Smith, admitted to throwing hot cooking grease on his face and breaking his arm. She said the marks on the rest of his body came from a belt she used to discipline him, according to police. Shes charged with felony child abuse.
After a few days of treatment, the boys doctor reportedly told police the burns did not appear to come from throwing liquid on his face. Rather, she believes the boy was submerged in scalding liquid for a period of time, police say. The doctor also told officers the boy appeared to have burn marks from an iron on his body, according to the police report.
The boys stepfather, Davonta Ford, also faces child abuse charges for using belts for discipline.