Republican City Council member Warren Cooksey announced Monday he will not run for re-election this fall, creating an open seat for his District 7 seat in south Charlotte.
Cooksey was first elected to the Ballantyne-area seat in 2007. He said in an interview that he wants to devote more time to his personal and professional life, and that serving on the City Council had become more than a full-time job.
Cooksey is one of two Republicans on the council. The other Republican, Andy Dulin, from District 6, also isnt running for re-election.
So far, only one candidate has filed to run in District 7 - Jay Privette. Privette lost to Cooksey in the Republican primary in 2011.
Cooksey was one of the councils most conservative members. He voted against all city items that were funded from the so-called 2009 federal stimulus bill because he said he believed it was wrong to borrow money to pay for the projects.
He also voted against this years budget, which includes a 7.25 percent property tax increase. He proposed that council members seek voter approval before raising the property tax rate.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less