The driver in a 2012 crash that killed one and injured five others in Charlotte pleaded guilty Monday and was sentenced to up to 7 1/2 years in prison.
Antonio Darrell Johnson, 31, was charged with felony death by motor vehicle and four counts of felony serious injury by motor vehicle. He had pleaded not guilty, and his trial was to start Monday. But Johnson changed his plea to guilty and was sentenced to between 57 and 90 months by Superior Court Judge Bob Bell.
On Feb. 25, 2012, Johnson drove off from a bar early Saturday morning with five of his friends. On Bellhaven Boulevard, his SUV crossed the center lane and sideswiped an oncoming car. Johnson’s Ford left the road, went airborne and slammed down on its side. Passenger Carlos Frazier, 28, died at the scene. Johnson and the other passengers were seriously injured.
A subsequent analysis found Johnson’s alcohol level at .13.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.