Elevation Church has been given the OK to build a new church in Ballantyne after the Charlotte City Council on Monday unanimously approved rezoning 22 acres at Lancaster Highway and Johnston Road.
The megachurch has raised $8.2 million during a capital campaign to open three new locations in the Charlotte area, including one in Ballantyne, as well as Lake Norman and University City.
The church wants to construct a 264,000-square-foot building, which would include a 42,000-square-foot worship center with 1,600 seats. The church may also build a 22,000-square-foot children’s ministry and a 200,000-square-foot office, according to its rezoning application with the city.
The land had been zoned for apartments. The rezoning was inconsistent with the city’s South District Plan, but the city’s zoning committee recommended approving the change.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.