LEXINGTON – An 11-year-old girl practicing for a swim meet was electrocuted Tuesday evening when a power line fell near the Davidson County pool where she was swimming, according to the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and other authorities.
The incident was reported shortly after 8 p.m. at the Brookside Swim Club, in the 200 block of Queens Road, just outside the city of Lexington.
The victim was identified as Lauren Cecil.
She and at least two other youths were practicing for a county-wide meet scheduled for Friday when a power line snapped and fell to the ground, authorities say. The line landed in a grassy area near the pool, deputies say.
The other members of the team were able to get out of the pool safely, but Lauren apparently was electrocuted when she touched the metal stairs in an effort to escape the water. Deputies say several lifeguards were shocked while trying to save the girl.
The victim was taken to a Lexington hospital but died there.
The swim club’s president, Julie Rhodes told WGHP-TV that rescuers had to use a kick board to get the girl out of the water, because they were being shocked themselves.
The pool has been closed, and Davidson County officials are conducting an investigation.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less