STATESVILLE – No serious injuries were reported in a plant explosion that was heard for miles late Tuesday night northwest of Statesville, authorities say.
Iredell County emergency management officials say the blast was reported about 11 p.m. at the 3A Composites plant, in the 3400 block of Taylorsville Highway (N.C. 90). That is a few miles from the center of Statesville.
Officials say firefighters found a wall of the building had collapsed partially, but there was little fire or smoke to deal with. About two dozen employees were inside the plant at the time, but officials say only one minor injury was reported.
Crews from the Statesville, Monticello and West Iredell fire departments, along with Statesville and Iredell emergency medical services, responded to the scene.
Investigators are working to determine a cause.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.