You dont have to be a glossy magazine-addicted fashionista to desire but balk at the price tag of luxurious designer fashions. Likewise, just because you regularly shop for clothes at Target doesnt mean you dont appreciate great style. Thankfully, the worlds of high-end and low-end fashion have joined forces in recent years, meaning even those without a six-figure paycheck can don coveted looks for less.
Past designer collaborations with more affordable retailers have included the extremely popular Missoni for Target line, Stella McCartney for GapKids and Marni for H&M.
These collections often sell out quickly, so marking your calendars for launch dates is a must. Here are some collaborations currently in stores and a few slated for later that are not to be missed. From Zac Posen wedding gowns at Davids Bridal, to 3.1 Phillip Lim at Target, to Catherine Malandrino at Kohls? Its time to clean out those closets (but not your wallets) youre definitely going to need more room.
In Stores Now
• Lancome Show by Alber Elbaz: Launched in June, this limited-edition beauty collection from the Lanvin Paris designer features mascaras, eyeshadow and liner palettes as well as the beauty companys first line of false eyelashes, all housed in collectable couture cases. Available at www.Lacome-usa.com .
• Kanye West for APC: The rap stars small line for the clothing company which includes two jeans styles, three T-shirt styles and three hoodie styles hit the market July 14 and promptly sold out, crashing the site. Although the line is technically not in stores now, were waiting on word of whether more styles will be released. Available at www.usonline.apc.fr .
• FEED USA for Target: The limited-edition collection hit stores June 30, with more than 50 products including clothing, stationary, sporting goods and home decor, offered for $3 to $400. Proceeds from the line, co-designed by Lauren Bush Lauren, go to hunger-relief charity Feeding America. Available at www.target.com.
• Wren x Minnetonka: Take the classic moccasin and give it a design twist from cool girl clothing line Wren, and you get hipster shoes that are as stylish as they are comfortable. Available at www.wrenstudio.com.
• Lulu Frost for J.Crew: Desire the designers incredible jewelry, but find $800 too pricey for a necklace? Find fab versions at a big discount at J.Crew, where the New York-based line has joined forces with the company to offer limited-edition beautiful baubles for $300 and less. Swoon. Available at www.Jcrew.com.
• Liberty London for NikeiD: Take your favorite Nike sneaker, add a sweet Liberty print and choose your own swoosh, lining, laces and sidewall colors for the prettiest sneaker weve ever seen. Get em for $130 to $150 mens styles available, too. Available at www.Nike.com.
Coming in September
• Rihanna for River Island: The singers latest collaboration with the British label is slated to hit stores and online Sept. 12. The 80s fall looks, including pretty much everything from undies to leather jackets, will range from $15 to $300. Available at www.us.riverisland.com .
• 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target: A New York Fashion Week favorite, Lims modern looks are set to hit Target racks Sept. 15. (Get there early. Youve been warned.) Expect more than 100 items including handbags, dresses, shoes and coats, with menswear and travel accessories, too. Prices will range from $19.99 to $299.99. Did we mention you should get there early? Available at www.Target.com.
• Catherine Malandrino for Kohls: For the third edition to Kohls limited-edition DesigNation series, the Parisian designer is set to launch a collection in late September or early October, featuring dresses, skirts, pants, shirts, sweaters and outerwear priced between $36 and $130. Available at www.kohls.com.
Coming in November
• Isabel Marant for H&M: Dream of dressing like those chic Parisian girls with beaucoup bucks? On Nov. 14, the styles of icon Marant will be available at H&M, featuring clothing and accessories for women, teens and for the first time from the designer men. Available at www.hm.com.
Coming in December
• LWren Scott for Banana Republic: Ever watch Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Sarah Jessica Parker and Christina Hendricks on the red carpet, and sigh, If only I could wear that? Heres your chance. High-end luxury designer LWren Scott (aka Mick Jaggers girlfriend) is partnering with Banana Republic for a holiday collection including blouses, jean dresses, jackets and accessories, ranging from $39.50 to $165, hitting stores and online Dec. 5, just in time for our holiday wish lists. Available at www.bananarepublic.com.
Coming in 2014
• Truly Zac Posen for Davids Bridal: If you needed an excuse to tie the knot, this may be it. Expected in select stores and online in February, wedding gowns from the New York designer (and his first bridal line ever!) will draw inspiration from the red carpet and couture. Prices will range from $850 to $1,350 and best of all designs will come in sizes 0 to 14 with sizes 16 to 26 available by special request. Here comes the fashion bride! Available at www.davidsbridal.com .
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less