On Oct. 1, Americans can begin enrolling for health coverage in 2014 through the new state insurance marketplaces. The Affordable Care Act takes effect three months later, in January. Thats when most people must have health insurance or face a fine for noncompliance. Most of the roughly 260 million Americans with job-based, individual or government coverage probably have nothing to worry about. But if youre unsure or among the nearly 49 million uninsured Americans weve prepared a guide to bring you up to speed.
Other health care resources
- CuidadoDeSalud.gov (resource for Spanish speakers)
- Federal ACA information website for business owners
- "The YouToons get ready for Obamacare" video
- Kaiser Family Foundation subsidy calculator
- Department of Health and Human Services ACA hotline: 1-800-318-2596
- HHS hotline for hearing-impaired callers with TTY/TTD technology: 1-855-889-4325
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less