Police in Lenoir suspect they are dealing with the serial theft of mopeds and motorcycles.
Authorities say they received reports in the final eight days of August of five mopeds and a motorcycle being stolen. They say the thefts have happened in the same part of town, and they suspect the crimes were connected. Most of the thefts were on the northeast and northwest side of the city.
Anyone with information in the cases is asked to contact Crime Stoppers, at 828-758-8300, or the Lenoir police, at 828-757-2100.
These thefts were reported:
Aug. 23 ... a burgundy 1990 Yamaha Virago motorcycle stolen from apartment parking lot in the 1200 block of Powell Road.
Aug. 25 ... silver-and-black Tomos VIP moped stolen from the Sonic parking lot in the 500 block of Harper Avenue.
Aug. 26 ... blue Yamaha Zuma moped stolen from a driveway in the 700 block of Jason Place.
Aug. 26 ... yellow-and-black Dykon moped stolen from apartment parking lot in the 1300 block of Piedmont Drive.
Aug. 27 ... red-and-white Taotao moped stolen from the 700 block of Pennton Avenue.
Aug. 31 ... yellow moped (make and model unknown) stolen from the front yard in the 1400 block of Merriman Street.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.