Save Money in this Sunday's paper

Second body recovered after boat capsizes on Fort Mill lake

By Andrew Dys and Anna Douglas ,

The body of the second fisherman involved in a Fort Mill lake drowning Thursday night was recovered Saturday morning, authorities said.

The man was dead when found in Lake Haigler, located at the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill, said Capt. Robert McCullough, a spokesman for the state Department of Natural Resources.

The man’s name has not been released by the York County Coroner’s Office, but family members Friday told authorities the missing man was John W. Wilson, 62, of Rock Hill.

On Friday, after the fishing boat overturned just before dark Thursday night, searchers found Joseph Jeter, 67.

Although the investigation into how the boat overturned continues, McCullough said, it appears to be accidental and there has been so far no determination of any foul play.

Dive teams worked Thursday night, then resumed Friday and again Saturday morning.

Check back for updates

Here is an earlier version of this story :

As crews searched for a missing Rock Hill man who possibly drowned in Lake Haigler on Thursday night, family members of Joseph Jeter, 67, were reeling from the news that their loved one's body was recovered from the small lake.

Family members told authorities on Thursday night that Jeter was likely with John W. Wilson, 62.

The York County Coroner's Office notified family and friends on Friday afternoon at the scene of the search that divers had found Jeter's body.

Family members told The Herald that Jeter and Wilson were best friends and often fished together at Lake Haigler, located at the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill.

Someone walking at the Anne Springs Close Greenway near Lake Haiger called 911 after seeing the boat Jeter was in capsize on Thursday night around 7:30.

Multiple law enforcement and rescue squads responded, starting a search of the lake immediately.

The search stopped temporarily overnight.

Jeter's daughter Saundra Hoyle said her father was the kind of person who "would give the shirt off his back ... it didn't matter if you were black or white or whatever."

He never met a stranger, she said.

Jeter was disabled but did jobs on the side to make money, his daughter said.

He had four children and four or five step-children, Hoyle said.

News of his drowning has hit as a "tremendous loss" for the family, she said.

Hoyle's niece recently had a baby and Jeter had not yet been able to meet his great-grandchild.

Just a few weeks ago, the baby's father died at age 29, Hoyle said, so the family has been through a lot of grief recently.

The search continues for Wilson, who is Hoyle's uncle.

Mary Smith, the sister of Wilson, said her brother went fishing on Thursday but she did not see him get in the truck with Jeter.

Family members say when one of the men went fishing, the other was close behind.

More than 20 family members and friends were on scene with authorities when the search began Thursday night and continued early Friday morning.

Police and DNR deployed divers to search for the men in the water and a helicopter flew above to search the surrounding area.

Authorities have blocked off the only access road to the lake. Officials have said the area is considered a crime scene.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK
Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
Your 2 Cents
Share your opinion with our Partners
Learn More