A Mooresville man who already was in jail now faces new charges in two counties, according to authorities.
Alius Cole Smith, 26, was charged this week by the Alexander County Sheriff’s Office with four counts of first-degree statutory sex offense, and by the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office with one count of indecent liberties with a minor.
The sheriff’s office in Alexander County says the charges resulted from a joint investigation with the sheriff’s offices in Iredell and Rowan counties.
Alexander authorities say they were contacted in mid-July by Iredell County officials about alleged sex offense involving a 7-year-old that happened earlier in the month in Alexander County. The investigation then spread into Rowan County, officials say.
Smith, meanwhile, had been jailed July 15 in Iredell County on a probation violation offense. He was charged this week while in jail. His total bond is set at $115,000.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.