State officials are investigating a food-poisoning outbreak that has hospitalized five people following a church barbeque fundraiser held Sept. 7 in Shelby.
By Tuesday, nine cases had been reported and lab tests confirmed salmonella bacteria, which can contaminate food, the N.C. Department Health and Human Services said. The department is investigating the outbreak with health authorities in Cleveland and Rutherford counties.
They advise anyone who attended the event at Sandy Plains Baptist Church and became sick with intestinal symptoms such as diarrhea or vomiting to report to their healthcare provider. Food bought at the fundraiser should be discarded.
Healthcare providers should inform health departments of confirmed or suspected cases. Contacts: Cleveland County Health Department: (704) 484-5100; Rutherford County Health Department: (828) 287-6100.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.