Where to get help
North Carolina navigators and certified application counselors:
• 855-733-3711 toll-free number for anyone in the state to make appointments for one-on-one assistance from navigators or certified application counselors.
• Novant Health will have financial assistants available at two workshops for walk-in visitors: 1-5 p.m. Nov. 6 at the BB&T building, 108 Providence Road in Charlotte, and 3-7 p.m. Nov. 14 at the Salisbury Civic Center, 315 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., Salisbury.
• Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina will open two Charlotte stores, near Northlake Mall and in south Charlotte, in mid-October. They will be staffed by agents and customer service representatives.
• Kaiser Family Foundation: Offers a “subsidy calculator,” an animated video in English and Spanish, and other information about the Affordable Care Act, http://kff.org/health-reform/.
• Families USA: www.familiesusa.org.
• North Carolina Department of Insurance: www.ncdoi.com.
Sources: U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, healthcare.gov, Kaiser Family Foundation.
South Carolina has 731,000 uninsured residents, and about 418,000 will be eligible for subsidies.
Four private insurance companies – BlueCross BlueShield of S.C., BlueChoice, Consumers’ Choice Health Plan and Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas – are offering plans on the exchange.
For breaking news, FAQs and more: www.charlotteobserver.com/healthcareact.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less