‘This Is the End’
Hollywood celebrities try to survive the end of the world. Seth Rogen stars. What makes this movie work is the take-no-prisoners script by Rogen and Evan Goldberg. No one’s career or public persona is safe from comic attack. Rogen even talks about his past film failures, particularly “The Green Hornet.”
If this is an example of what’s supposed to be prehistoric comedy, then the genre should be allowed to become extinct. There’s the potential for humor, but it never develops beyond a few sight gags that will entertain the preschool crowd.
Also available this week
“The Little Mermaid”: The animated tale of a mermaid who longs to leave the water is being released for the first time on Blu-ray.
“The Wizard of Oz”: Remastered version of the film is being released to mark the 75th anniversary.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.