FORT MILL Fort Mill School District consultant Dr. Dale Holden will present his proposal for the new elementary attendance zones at 7 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 8, in the multi-purpose room at Nation Ford High School.
Redrawing attendance zones is necessary to populate the district’s newest elementary schools, Tega Cay and Doby’s Bridge elementary, slated to open in Aug. 2014, district officials said.
Holden, an outside consultant hired by the district to draw up a plan, will discuss the proposal as well as the process behind drawing the attendance zones.
At a school board meeting earlier this year, Holden said the process for redrawing attendance zones would be different this time than it was in 2010-2011, when middle school attendance lines were redrawn. Preserving neighborhoods was once considered important, he said, but sending an entire neighborhood to the same school might be difficult now that Fort Mill Township has nearly 300 developments. There is the potential for some larger neighborhoods to be split because some neighborhoods are large enough to fill one and-a-half elementary schools.
Feedback cards will be collected at the Tuesday night meeting. The proposal and presentation information will be available on the district’s website immediately after the meeting along with an online link for providing feedback.
Superintendent Chuck Epps said he will consider comments and ideas from the public before he makes a recommendation to the school board at the Oct. 22 school board meeting. Feedback will continue to be received until the Nov. 5 school board meeting, when the school board will vote to finalize the new attendance zones.
Hearing from the community – whether comments are positive or negative – is vital to the process, school district spokesperson Kelly McKinney said.
“I very much encourage people to provide feedback online,” she said.
“It’s a very good collection point. We want to have a collective voice. All feedback, in support of the proposal or not in support of the proposal, and reasons why, are greatly encouraged,” McKinney said.
Middle and high school attendance areas will not change.
Check back here for updates after Tuesday’s meeting.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less