Jerry Moore, 60, a house painter in Black Mountain, said he was sent to Stonewall Jackson for truancy. He got high and drunk almost every night of his life, he said, until he quit a few years ago.
“I didn’t go to school because I was embarrassed and ashamed because my clothes were hand-me-downs and the soles of my shoes were wrapped in electrical tape to hold them together. And I was also a very slow learner.
“At Stonewall Jackson, the cottage parent where I lived would line us up around the pingpong table, and he would hold your penis sometimes and come down with a big rubber strap. ...
“If a kid had wet the bed, then he would grab him by the back of the neck and put his face in the wet sheets.
“If they found out you told on them, you would get beat harder. No matter what happened, you didn’t tell.”
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.