A Rock Hill woman accused of using a cellphone video to assemble an automatic machine gun on a busy New York Chinatown street corner in part of the largest seizure of illegal guns in New York City history had a an extradition hearing scheduled for this week rescheduled for November, prosecution officials said.
Kendall Jones, 23, one of eight people from Rock Hill arrested in the plot that ran guns to New York, continues to fight extradition to face the charges, said Kati Cornell, a spokesperson for the special prosecutor’s office in New York handling the case. Jones’ hearing in a Charlotte courtroom set for Tuesday was postponed until Nov. 21, Cornell said.
Jones, who faces five felonies in New York that could carry more than 20 years in prison for convictions, has been in jail in Charlotte since her Aug. 5 arrest.
She is the girlfriend of another defendant, Earl Campbell of Rock Hill, accused of being a ringleader in the case. Jones allegedly rode with Campbell to New York on a bus where weapons were sold to undercover police. New York City officials say the seizure of more than 250 weapons in a case where 19 people were charged is the largest-ever seizure of guns in the city.
One of the eight people from Rock Hill arrested was released last month on bond, but the others remain jailed in New York pending court hearings in December.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less