CNN political analyst and author Jeffrey Toobin told an audience at UNC Charlotte Tuesday night that the conservative leanings of the Supreme Court can pretty much be summed up this way: Five Republicans, four Democrats.
And the most important decisions justices make, Toobin said, are when they vote with their feet and leave the court allowing a sitting president to name their replacement.
Toobin, speaking at UNCCs Center City campus, praised the University of North Carolina system as the envy of the nation. He said the state legislatures sharp turn to the right this year is the biggest political story in the United States, but not for the best of reasons.
Overnight, he said, North Carolina turned into Mississippi.
Toobin appeared at UNCC for the Chancellors Speaker Series. He is author of the New York Times bestseller: The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.