Seven people were displaced, including one woman who had to jump from a second-story window, during an overnight fire in east Charlotte.
The call for service came in at 3:01 a.m. Sunday in reference to a fire at the Devonshire Condominiums, at 8022 Tremaine Court, just off Albemarle Road.
When firefighters arrived, they found that the blaze was already through the roof.
Everyone escaped ahead of the flames, including one woman who was trapped in an upstairs unit.
The intense fire and smoke conditions blocked her normal way out requiring her to break a window to escape, said Fire Capt. Rob Brisley. Waiting below and shouting encouragement were two (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police) Officers who convinced her to drop into their arms.
It took 64 firefighters 38 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
During the search of the building, firefighters removed three dogs and reunited them with owners.
The Red Cross is working with the displaced families.
At this time the cause of the fire in still under investigation. Fire officials estimated the damage at more than $300,000.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.