Steve Smith caught his 800th pass Sunday, each of them, of course, for Carolina. The season is his 13th. Fans win when a player finds a home and sticks. I think players win, too. There was a time when Smith wanted out, but he reconsidered. He is the best player the Panthers have had and a face of the franchise. Hes smart, hes spirited and I cant imagine Carolina without him. Targeted six times Sunday, he caught five passes, one for a touchdown.
• If Carolina beats Tampa Bay on Thursday, the Panthers will have a winning record. Think about that. They were last above .500 in 2008. At 3-3, their record already is better than it has been since 2008.
• Wouldnt you love to know what goes on in the scrums and piles on a football field? We know only what officials tell us.
• Sundays weather was perfect for football, fighting or anything else. The sun was high, the temperate in the mid-50s.
• You see what former Carolina quarterback Josh McCown did to Washington Sunday? He replaced injured Chicago starter Jay Cutler in the second half and completed 14 of 20 passes for 204 yards and a touchdown. Hes one of the classiest players to wear a Carolina uniform.
• I called Ric Flair, the greatest grappler of all time, after the Carolina-St. Louis game to ask him to review the quality of the grappling. Alas, he didnt see the game.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less