Tacos for breakfast?
Posted: Friday, Oct. 25, 2013
Ok, so we have been in this taco craze for a while now and it has swept the nation with food tacos and gourmet creations in upscale restaurants. It really got me thinking about breakfast. No really, chorizo sausage and egg are a classic combination for breakfast so why not add a few garnishes and cram it in a warm corn tortilla for a delicious breakfast.
There are different types of chorizo sausage; Mexican and Spanish. Mexican chorizo is a ground sausage and Spanish chorizo is a cured sausage. Both are seasoned the same but there are hundreds of different versions. Most all contain garlic, salt, pepper and lots of paprika; there is even a green chorizo that has tomatillo, chili peppers and cilantro as the seasoning.
For the tacos start by removing the chorizo from its casing and cook in a pan. Drain off a little of the fat but not all because that is part of the seasoning. Add onion/peppers and cook until soften. Add eggs that have been beaten together with cheese and cilantro. Add eggs and cook slowly over a low heat until just cooked through and fluffy.
Remove pan from heat and assemble tacos with warm tortillas and a side of oven baked potato hash browns. Enjoy!
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos
2 Tablespoons-Heavy Cream
½ Cup-Manchego Cheese-shredded
To Taste-Cilantro-or parsley-leaves only chopped (plus garnish)
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
6-8 Corn Tortillas
1 Tablespoon-Bacon Drippings/Olive Oil
½ Pound-Mexican Chorizo-casing removed
¼ White Onion-small dice
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Red Jalapeno/Cayenne/Fresno Chili-stem/seeds removed, fine dice
To Top-Crema-or sour cream
1. Crack egg into a mixing bowl.
2. Add cream, cheese, cilantro, season with salt/pepper and set aside.
3. Lightly oil both side of tortillas, stack, wrap in a clean kitchen towel and microwave for 1 minute. (Keep Warm)
4. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat; add drippings, chorizo and cook breaking up with a wooden spoon.
5. Toss chorizo until cooked through and drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of oil.
6. Add onion, peppers, cook for one minute, stirring frequently and lower heat to medium.
7. Add egg/cheese mixture and stir into chorizo/onion mixture until eggs start to set.
8. Remove pan from heat; continue to stir until eggs are just cooked through.
9. Fill tortillas with chorizo/egg, garnish with crema/cilantro and serve.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less