comments

Martin Truex Jr. signs with Furniture Row Racing

FORT WORTH, Texas Martin Truex Jr. has a new NASCAR home for the 2014 season.

And he won’t be going alone.

Furniture Row Racing on Friday announced it had signed Truex to a two-year deal to drive its No. 78 Chevrolets beginning next season. The organization also has hired Truex’s over-the-wall pit crew from his current team at Michael Waltrip Racing to add stability to the program.

“We couldn’t be happier to have landed one of the top drivers in NASCAR,” general manager Joe Garone said. “Martin’s talents – both on and off the track – have been well documented, and everyone at Furniture Row Racing feels that he is an excellent fit to continue the success that we have enjoyed this season.”

Truex, 33, is currently in his eighth season as a full-time Sprint Cup competitor. He joined NASCAR’s premier series in 2006 after claiming back-to-back Nationwide Series season championships in 2004 and 2005.

“Furniture Row Racing has been high on my radar,” Truex said. “The team has done a great job this year. It’s a talented organization, and it has been impressive to see what they’ve accomplished over the past few seasons.

“What influenced my decision is team owner Barney Visser and that the team really wants me as its driver. Everything else is important, but I really felt like Furniture Row Racing genuinely wanted me to drive for them.”

MWR announced last month it would be moving from a three-car to two-car operation in 2014 and Truex was free to explore other options.

Entering this weekend’s Texas race, Truex has made 294 Cup starts with two wins, 30 top-five and 88 top-10 finishes and he has won seven poles.

“We are very happy to see (Truex) in a competitive ride next year and appreciate the professionalism everyone showed throughout this entire process,” MWR said in a statement.

AMS public relations director dies

Marcy Scott, the promotion and marketing director at Atlanta Motor Speedway who also worked with several drivers during a long career in NASCAR, died Friday after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 42.

AMS president Ed Clark said Scott died at her parents’ home in the Atlanta suburb of Lilburn.

Scott joined the speedway in 2005 after working for several sponsors and drivers, including Matt Kenseth, Ricky Craven and Jeff Green.

“We will all miss her charisma, her penchant for detail and her way of making any task fun and enjoyable,” Clark said. “To people throughout the NASCAR and the Atlanta media communities, she was a great friend and a consummate professional.”

A celebration of life service is noon Monday at Eastminster Presbyterian Church in Stone Mountain, Ga. A reception will follow the service at Berkeley Hills Country Club in Duluth, Ga.

Truck Series crew member suspended

Adam Brown, a crew member with Richard Childress Racing’s No. 3 Truck Series team, was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR this week for throwing a sledgehammer at driver Kevin Harvick’s truck in last Saturday’s Truck race at Martinsville, Va.

The team’s crew chief, Paul Richmond, was fined $10,000 as under NASCAR rules the crew chief is responsible for members of his crew.

After an on-track incident with No. 3 team driver Ty Dillon, Harvick drove his damaged truck to pit road and parked partially within the No. 3’s pit stall, when Brown threw the hammer.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more