Two men have been arrested in connection with a robbery and shooting in south Charlotte that left a victim paralyzed last week, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said Monday.
Abner Hintzen, 34, and Michael Patrick, 22, were arrested Sunday and charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery, armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Patrick had been arrested the week before the robbery and released on bond, jail records show.
An anonymous business put up a $10,000 reward last week for information related to the crime.
CMPD spokeswoman Officer Jessica Wallin said the robbery happened in the early morning hours of Nov. 1 at an apartment complex on Lodge South Circle, near Arrowood Road and South Boulevard. Two armed men approached a 29-year-old man getting into his car to drive to work, Wallin said. They demanded money and property from him.
“As the suspects were robbing him, a second victim walked upon the robbery in progress,” Wallin said in an email. The second victim turned to run and one of the suspects fired at him. The victim was struck in the back, severing his spinal cord. Doctors at Carolinas Medical Center said he is now paralyzed, according to Wallin.
CMPD detectives said they found evidence linking Hintzen and Patrick to the shooting on Saturday, but didn’t say what that evidence was. The CMPD Violent Criminal Apprehension Team arrested both men on Sunday.
For Patrick, it was the second arrest in three weeks. On Oct. 26, six days before the shooting, jail records show Patrick was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon, possession with intent to distribute marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and maintaining a vehicle or dwelling to sell a controlled substance.
He was released later the same day, under $11,000 bond.
In 2009, records show Patrick was convicted of disorderly conduct and fined $171.
Hintzen had no prior arrests in Mecklenburg County. But criminal records from Virginia show he was convicted of marijuana possession, speeding 111 mph in a 65-mph zone and driving with a suspended license in 2006.
Both men are being held at the Mecklenburg County jail under $175,000 bond.
Staff researcher Maria David contributed
Portillo: 704-358-5041 On Twitter @ESPortillo
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less