Bobcats vs. Nets
7 p.m., Time Warner Cable Arena
TV: SportSouth. Radio: WFNZ-AM 610
|Pos, Player||Ppg||Rpg||Pos, Player||Ppg||Rpg|
|G, K. Walker||14.6||3.8||G, D. Williams||10.0||1.9|
|G, G. Henderson||13.5||3.5||G, J. Johnson||12.8||2.8|
|F, M. Kidd-Gilchrist||10.8||5.7||F, P. Pierce||13.5||6.3|
|F, J. McRoberts||9.3||4.7||F, K. Garnett||5.8||7.8|
|C, B. Biyombo||3.9||7.5||C, TBD|
Matchup to Watch
Paul Pierce vs. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Pierce used to be among the Bobcats’ most dangerous opponents when he played for the Boston Celtics, particularly in late-game situations. He’s a driver, a shooter and a decision-maker, so if the ball is in his hands late in a tight game, a defender has to be ready for anything.
• The Nets went all-in on a win-now strategy when they agreed to the deal with Boston for the aging Pierce and Kevin Garnett. They were looking for a way to maximize what they had in center Brook Lopez and particularly in point guard Deron Williams.
• Ex-Bobcat Shaun Livingston played well as a fill-in starter for Williams against the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday, frinishing with 23 points
• Former Duke big man Mason Plumlee was the Nets’ 22nd overall draft pick in June. He had a strong game off the bench against the Los Angeles Clippers, with 19 points and six rebounds in 27 minutes.
• The Nets’ 3-7 start is surprising for a team so seemingly set up for immediate impact. With the Knicks also struggling, it isn’t the Big Apple NBA that some expected, at least not yet.
• Another ex-Bobcat, Alan Anderson, plays off the Nets’ bench.
• The Nets made a solid free-agent signing this summer, seemingly getting Andrei Kirilenko on the cheap, but he’s been out with back spasms.
• Bobcats guard-forward Jeff Taylorscored a career-high 20 points against the Chicago Bulls on Monday. He’s now had five straight games with double-figure scoring.
Did you know?
The Bobcats’ Steve Clifford and the Nets’ Jason Kidd are two of the nine first-time NBA head coaches hired this season. Difference is all of Kidd’s previous NBA experience is as a player, while Clifford was a long-time assistant.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less