The man identified as a suspect in a fatal shooting last Saturday turned himself in Friday, police said.
Demontre Rice, 27, turned himself in at the Mecklenburg County Jail after detectives sought an arrest warrant for the murder of 17-year-old Stanley Naquon Taylor, according to police.
Officers from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Metro Division were called to the 1300 block of Lasalle Street shortly after 4 a.m. last Saturday in response to a shooting, but were unable to find a victim, officials said.
A short time later, Medic was flagged down on Statesville Avenue near the entrance to Interstate 85 to help Taylor, who had been shot, police said, noting he was the victim from Lasalle Street. Taylor was taken to Carolinas Medical Center and pronounced dead.
Taylor was driven from the shooting location by witnesses, detectives said, and Rice was identified as a suspect. His arrest warrant was obtained Sunday afternoon, according to officials.
Rice has been charged with murder, police said, and will remain in custody. Details about whether Rice will receive bond, as well as information about his court dates, were not immediately available.
Trenda: 704-358-5089; Twitter: @htrenda
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less