Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy was benched for the start of Sundays game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for being late to a meeting last week, according to a team source.
Hardy also was fined by the team for being tardy, and apologized to coach Ron Rivera in the locker room after the Panthers 27-6 victory.
Hardy missed the first two snaps before entering the game, and had one of the five sacks of Bucs rookie quarterback Mike Glennon. It was Hardys only tackle, although he added a pair of quarterback hurries.
Hardy played with stitches in his left thumb after tearing the base of his thumb last week in the win at Miami. Hardy said the injury affected him primarily when he lined up on the left side and used his left hand in his pass-rush moves.
I didnt want to look at it until today, Hardy said. That thing hurt.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.