You’re going to be face-to-face with your in-laws this holiday season. Here are some handy comebacks to keep on the tip of your tongue.
1. How’s the job search going, you ask? Great. So great as a matter of fact that I’ve decided to stop searching and take a little break. Maybe I can come over your house and take a nap sometime this week?
2. Didn’t we tell you? We’ve decided to sell the house, car and all of our stuff and just start backpacking around the country for a year or so.
3. I’ve sent the kids to work. I mean, really. They just take and take and take. It was time don’t you think? Johnny’s what now? Seven?
4. Something wonderful happened. I’ve started looking into alternative lifestyles, and until they legalize it, let’s keep it hush hush, OK?
5. We just found the BEST cult ever and start Monday!
6. I have the greatest idea! How about you guys, just for fun, take our house and we'll take yours. See, this works great because you’re retired and don’t really have any more big bills like mortgages and stuff, and we do – but can’t pay them. So we’ll just switch lives, sound good?
7. I’m writing a novel, and it’s all about you! I just can’t believe the stuff your son/daughter told me, but I’ve got to show all sides, right?
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less