• Chick-fil-A Bowl participants Duke and Texas A&M were at Saturdays Bobcats-Hawks game, and some of the players participated in a skills competition at halftime. Based on how he missed that layup, Johnny Manziel isnt Johnny Basketball.
• With center Al Horford out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle, the Hawks are scrambling to fill the position by committee. Former Duke star Elton Brand got the start, and Bobcats counterpart Al Jefferson had a pretty easy time posting him up.
• The Utah Jazz essentially broke up its core last summer when they didnt re-sign Jefferson or Paul Milsap. Milsap has turned into a great addition to the Hawks, probably the best move Danny Ferry has made since taking over that basketball operation.
• Atlanta guard Kyle Korver extended his streak of making at least one 3-pointer to 99 games, but it wasnt easy Saturday. It took until the fourth quarter, with Anthony Tolliver doing a good job of sticking with him throughout this game.
• The Hawks took 12 more free throws Saturday than the Bobcats did. Awfully hard for them to overcome that the way theyre currently constructed.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less