A Lincoln County man celebrating the new year was seriously injured when a black-powder homemade cannon exploded in his face, investigators said.
A woman at the home in the 2300 block of Keener Road told sheriff’s deputies that she heard an explosion and saw Timothy Crouse Hester, 41, of Lincolnton fly across the porch in a cloud of smoke and land against a door.
Hester had been shooting the cannon during the night to celebrate the new year, investigators said.
Deputies arrived at the home at 1:15 a.m. Wednesday, where paramedics and firefighters were treating Hester. He was lying against a door on the side porch.
Hester was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist Burn Center in Winston-Salem. He suffered second-degree burns and cornea damage to an eye and was expected to be released from the hospital on Friday.
The Sheriff’s Office seized the cannon as evidence but hadn’t filed any charges as of Thursday.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.